- Counselling is offered by trained relationship professionals.
- It's for people who want to make life changes.
- The counsellor encourages personal responsibility - if you want to have a loving family and couple relationship, you need to be prepared to make the changes in your own behaviour first to bring this about.
- A positive attitude can enhance possible changes in the relationship.
- Change can only take place in small steps.
- Counselling is not an instant cure, but takes some time.
Your Counsellor will offer you:
- A safe, containing, confidential, non-judgmental, unbiased, empathic space where you will be heard.
- Preferably seeing relevant members together so that all can work to resolve issues.
- The focus will be on interaction in the present and exploring together how the past has an impact on the current situation.
- The counsellor will facilitate positive change by focusing on strengths and resources.
- Your counsellor will, together with you, clarify the goals of counselling and how this is approached.
- Your counsellor will give you feedback about how you are doing.
To put your full energy into the counselling process by:
- Participating fully, trusting and committing to the process by keeping appointments.
- To be as honest and open as possible and prepared to listen to enable you to benefit fully from the process.
- To value and respect yourself and others.
- Doing homework carefully and continuing the process at home.
- Asking questions and clarifying any matter that is unclear.